4 Best Low-Carb, Keto-Friendly Protein Powder For Weight loss?
” With low-carb protein powder in your diet, you can lose weight while enjoying drinks that taste delicious.”
Protein powder screams from the top shelf of any self-respected ‘gym-rat’ or a fitness enthusiast today!
But do we really know if we are consuming the right type which is suitable for our fitness goal?
If you are opting for a low carb diet looking to lose weight, then you have to practice extra caution while picking one up.
Protein should always be procured from natural sources like animal or dairy or in the case of vegans, from soy and hemp. But during the ketogenic diet, your body solely relies on protein and high fat consumption and that might not come wholly from a natural source. Hence, keto-friendly protein powders are considered a good way of capping that gap. (1)
Already feeling like you are looking for a needle in the proverbial haystack of protein powders? Let me help you with this review on four best tasting low carb protein powders.
Before we begin, we have to keep these salient points while making our pick:
- One, you have to double check if the protein powder does not have extra carbs hidden as sweeteners and flavours which the manufacturers add to make it more palatable
- Two, absorption quality of the protein present in the protein powder has to be high (always check the amino acid score or PDCAAS)
- Three, opt for the versions which use natural sweeteners like stevia in case you cannot consume the bland and chalky taste of unflavoured protein shake
- Four, remember you can add spice up or use flavor essence separately to make your protein powder tasty
- Five, the texture of the protein powder is integral because anything clumping in your tumbler might not be that appetising at the end
- Since taste, texture and quality rule the roost, we have kept them in mind while researching and creating the list of a few current low carb keto diet-friendly protein powders. To find out which one makes to the top in this review on four best tasting low carb protein powder, read on.
Caution: Consumption of protein powder is only advised when you are in an active lifestyle where the protein supplied from the supplement is used up during your workout. Otherwise, the excess protein not utilised the body for energy will then be transformed into glucose. NOT GOOD!
Four of The Best-selling Low Carb Protein Powders Out There On The Market Include:
- Isopure Low Carb Protein Powder: If you are eyeing for a self-proclaimed zero-sugar protein powder, then look no more. This protein powder is also fortified with a mix of essential vitamins and minerals. And not only that, it is also completely lactose-free and gluten free. And you have 18 flavours to choose from!
- Isopure Zero Carb Protein Powder: Packs 25 gm of protein per scoop, this low carb protein powder is made of 100% whey protein isolate which means it is virtually fat-free (did I just hear your sigh of relief?). People suffering from lactose intolerance can consume this fear-free and this protein powder does not contain any filler too. (2)
- Quest Nutrition Protein Powder:Optimise your protein intake with Quest, in tasty ‘whey’! It is fit for people with soy-allergy as it is soy-free. It is also no-added sugar but contains sucralose (if you don’t mind no carb artificial sweetener) and stevia (natural sweetener). This chocolate sweetened protein powder is one of the best ways to satisfy your inner chocolate cravings while sticking to a diet full of protein. This protein powder is a bit pricey.
- EAS 100% Pure Whey Protein Powder: 30 gm of protein punch with every serving and dream protein powder for people with a cash crunch, this keto friendly protein powder is one of the best-selling low carb whey protein powders on the market as it is very inexpensive.
There are no fillers added and this carb free protein powder helps build muscle and strength.
Excited much to check all our picks in detail? Dive in.
2019’s Review of the Best Low-carb (Keto Friendly) Protein Powders
In a rush? Pin this guide to your Pinterest board for later reference!
Athletes who want to switch to a ketogenic diet to reduce their dependency on carbs for primary fuel should take a note of this low carb protein powder, one of the most popular among their brotherhood.
Although keto diet is still disputed and it is been actively researched whether it fares well for the short burst anaerobic athletes or the endurance athletes.
Made of 100% whey protein isolate, and weighing in at 220 calories per serving, you will be putting a lot of protein, vitamins and minerals in your body without packing on the carbs. This low carb protein powder will keep you strong and fit.
Besides being low on the carb and high on protein, it also has an array of micronutrients like multivitamins A, C and K, manganese, calcium etc. This low carb protein powder helps to meet daily protein needs and builds muscle strength and it also supports weight management making you fuller in-between meals.
But it does lack digestive enzymes which might not set right with people with sensitive guts. I advise them to start with a trial instead of buying the big tub.
Regarding taste, people are really appreciative of its creamy texture and absence of synthetic and chemical aftertaste that most other protein powder leaves especially the artificially flavoured ones.
But some people do complain about off-putting flavours like strawberry and find it has a very bland taste. Some find that it doesn’t taste right. Anyway, we will get more into detail about this low carb protein powder on our review page that you will be able to find right here. (https://ketoaholics.com/isopure-low-carb-protein-powder/)
Here are what customers say about this product,
“I feel like I’ve tried every protein powder out there, but I’ve never found one that I love as much as this. I’ve used several different (and expensive) brands of protein powder, but this is my favorite. The creamy vanilla is awesome.”
”I’ve been a fan of Isopure for years. The carry one of the highest quality protein powders on the market. This is evident through the price and the reviews! People use this protein powder for many different reasons, but my goals are pretty specific – I’m hoping to put on muscle through working out, without sacrificing my body fat percentage which I’ve worked very hard to maintain.”
Coming from the same powerhouse of low carb protein powder of Isopure, the zero carb variety is ideally recommended to people who seek lactose-free, impurity-free and gluten-free low carb protein powder. If you are on your weight loss journey, this fat-free Zero Carb should be your all-time companion.
Since it is also packed with a whole lot of vitamins and minerals it will also take care of your hair, bone and nail health. Therefore, it is also beneficial for strengthening your body.
Here are what customers say about this product,
“I love it. This is by far one of the best protein powders I have ever tried. I completely trust the Isopure brand. Before trying this, I had tried everything from ON, Dymatize, MP…you name it. This was definitely my favorite.”
“I used to use the GNC vanilla ice cream. But after trying this powder, I haven’t looked back. Isopure is by far WAY BETTER than the GNC product. I purchased the vanilla Isopure. It has the perfect amount of sweetness. Not bitter, yet not overpoweringly sweet.”
Unlike the other contenders on this list, Quest Nutrition Protein Powder is not 100% whey protein. Rather it is a mix of whey protein isolate and micellar casein and milk protein isolate.
But that aside, this protein powder whips up super yummy baked desserts and chocolatey milkshakes. And it does not contain any sugar at that!
Quest sweetens their chocolate protein powder with a blend of stevia and sucralose.
With only 4g net carbs per serving, this is a great ketogenic protein shake.
Here are what customers say about this product
“I expected this protein powder to be just average, but I am so in love with it. I have tried so many protein powders over the course of my life…But this is by far the best one to date.”
“Texture often tends to be an issue with protein powders. However, Quest protein powder has the best texture of any powder that I’ve ever tried. It blends very smoothly and there’s no gritty feeling when you drink it.”
This protein powder here is winning matrimony between taste and nutrition. We have already lauded its 30 gm of protein per serving. But did you know? It also dishes out only 170 calories per serving. Since it does not have any added sugar, the carb content is pretty low than other popular protein powders.
Talking about its texture and taste, the customers cannot stop raving about how easily it mixes both with water and milk or incorporated smoothly in any veggie or fruit smoothies of your choice.
And vanilla and chocolate top the taste chart, although a customer does mention that strawberry mixed with coconut milk has become his latest favourite!
The BCAA content of EAS 100% Pure Whey Protein Powder is pretty rich and it comes highly recommended to be used by people who practice a highly active lifestyle. With no added sugar, they’re the perfect drink for anyone living a low-carb/ketogenic lifestyle.
Pocket-wise, if you buy the 5lb tub, then you save on truckload of money because protein per serving comes to a mid-level range which is way lower than other popular brands of protein powder out there.
Here are what customers say about this product
“This my favorite protein powder out there. I’ve tried over a dozen, but this is the only one I’d recommend. It tastes good, it mixes into water easily without “glops,” it’s low in carbs, and it’s very satisfying. I love the strawberry flavor as well.”
“When I first saw this product, I was a little skeptical when I learned that it takes two scoops for 26 grams of protein. But overall, it has an excellent taste. Also, you definitely can’t beat the price for this amount of protein.”
FAQ & Buying Guides:
1. What Makes a Particular Protein Powder a Good Choice?
- High in protein
- High in fiber
- Low-calorie (if purpose of keto diet is weight loss)
- Not overpriced
2. What Should I Look For When Purchasing a Low Carb Protein Powder?
When you’re trying to determine which protein powder is right for you, it’s important to take all factors into consideration. Would you prefer an unflavored or flavored powder? They both have their benefits. Next, do your research! Reading customer reviews and product specs is vital.
Today, many low-carb protein powders on the market contain fiber as well. If your diet is in need of extra fiber, this is a great quality to look for in a protein powder. Keep in mind that the recommended daily amount of fiber for healthy adults is 25-30 grams.
Also, if you’re sensitive to artificial sweeteners, you may want to be mindful of what sweetening agent is used in the keto protein powder you’re considering.
Some artificial sweeteners have the tendency to upset some peoples’ stomachs. If you’re not used to artificial sweeteners in your diet, it may be a good idea to start off slowly to determine your tolerance.
However, artificial sweeteners are great because they drastically reduce a product’s carbohydrates and sugars.
For most people, taking price into consideration is a good idea. Some protein powders can be a bit overpriced, so it’s important to find a balance of quality and value.
3. What Does The “unflavored” Flavor Taste Like?
The low carb protein powder has a very light taste, and if you mix it with water it has the taste of plain water. The best way to use the keto friendly protein powders since they taste “unflavored” is to blend them into smoothies.
Mixing these protein powder drinks into smoothies will make them taste better and less overbearing.
4. What Do You Mix This With?
To make a great tasting smoothie, you can mix with ice and water or a half cup fresh or frozen fruit. That way there will be no added sugar.
To gain protein, you can also make a runny oatmeal or cream of wheat and stir in a scoop of the low carb protein powder. Some people like to mix this low carb protein powder with almond milk as well.
After analyzing the pros and cons of each product on this list, we have determined that EAS 100% pure whey protein powder is the best low carb protein powder on the market.
Many low-carb protein powders on the market don’t taste exactly right, but this protein powder contains no sugar and still tastes wonderful. It also comes in three different flavors. With 30 grams of protein per serving, this is a great healthy product that is not as expensive as other ketogenic protein powders.
You can buy EAS 100% Pure Whey Protein Powder here.
We hope the product evaluations above have assisted you in choosing the low-carb protein powder that’s just right for you.